Medicare Open Enrollment
Medicare open enrollment runs from October 15th through December 7th. This is the time you can change your plan for next year. Even if you are happy with your current plan there are some important things you should do. Think what matters the most to you. The primary care physician or specialist you have been seeing for many years?
Getting ready for open enrollment
7 important things you need to do
• Review your plan’s notice. It should explain what is changing next year compared to this year.
♦ Make sure you understand how much you will be paying for the things you use most like office visits and prescription drugs.
• Make sure your doctor and the hospital closest to you is still in the plan next year. Most insurance companies have a searchable provider network online.
If that is not convenient to use then call the customer service number on your insurance card.
• Find out the closest Urgent Care. You will use an Urgent Care more often than the Emergency Room.
• Confirm the pharmacy you use is still in your plan. Make sure it is preferred so you have the lowest copay for prescriptions.
• If you are taking an expensive medicine make sure it is on your plan’s list of approved drugs. This is called a formulary.
Most insurance companies provide a way to search for the drug online. If this is not convenient for you call the customer service number on your insurance card.
• Shop for the plan … understand if you will be paying more and if so how much more.
Are there other plans by the same company that offer what you need for less?
Are there plans by other insurers that offer what your need for less?
It pays to shop around.