♦ In 2020, insurance from your employer is considered affordable if the employee’s share of the premium for the lowest priced self-only plan available does not exceed 9.78% of an employee's household income.
• This is down from 9.86% in 2019
• It rises to 9.83% in 2021
The law considers the cost for insurance that would cover the employee only — not the employee’s family.
Your spouse and children can purchase insurance thorough the Marketplace.
But because you have affordable insurance through your employer your spouse and children will not be able to receive a premium tax credit or other savings.
This oddity in the law has be dubbed the “family glitch.”
• What is affordable coverage ?
• I believe my employer's plan is not affordable. What do I do ?
• Can my family buy a plan from the Marketplace if I have insurance through my company ?